Permit and Waiver
NATIONAL PARK SERVICE PERMIT
In addition to our playing and league rules, the league is also required to make you aware of some rules that we have agreed to with the National Park Service in exchange for the use of the land which we own…as Americans…but for which they manage on our behalf.
- Members of Congress Not Allowed – No shit, this is a real rule. If you’re a Member and you want to play, you’re out of luck. Plus, you probably would have a high ERA and poor strikeout to home run ratio anyway.
- No Off-leash Dogs or Alcohol – and especially no dogs with alcohol and without leashes. (Alcohol is prohibited in two seperate permit conditions, as well as in the league liability waiver. If you must drink, drink while you drive home, or on your way, but NOT at Gravelly Point.)
- Playing Field Not Improved – We’re required to tell you that “the open park area…is maintained soley as an open grassy field and not a leveled, improved area which is designed for organized athlethic competitions”. Basically, those things we refer to as “character” in the field, they don’t want you suing them over it.
- Car Pool, Suckers – We are “required to direct participants to car pool or use other means of transportation insofar as possible”. Don’t worry, this isn’t for some environmental reason or bullshit like that. It’s because when planes crash on take off from DCA they want fewer things on the ground to separate out from the wreckage.
NOTE: The 2010 permit mentions conducting two high school Rugby matches. We believe this is optional, but if required, it will be used to determine home team instead of paper, rock, scissors.
LEAGUE LIABILITY WAIVER
All players must sign this waiver their first week of play and pay the registration fee in order to play. The waiver form is available each week at the headquarters tent at Gravelly Point.
WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT
THE POTOMAC WIFFLEBALL LEAGUE
1. In consideration for receiving permission to participate in the Potomac Wiffleball League games, tournaments, or other activities, I hereby RELEASE, WAIVE, DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE, the Potomac Wiffleball League, it’s officers, agents, servants, employees, or promotors (hereinafter referred to as RELEASEES) from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including death, that may be sustained by me, or any of the property belonging to me, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES, or otherwise, while participating in such activity, or while in, on or upon the premises where the activity is being conducted.
2. I am fully aware of the unusual risks involved and hazards connected with this activity, including but not limited to personal injury risks and/or property damage risks. I hereby elect to voluntarily participate in said activity with full knowledge that said activity may be hazardous to me and my property. I VOLUNTARILY ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY RISKS OF LOSS, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR PERSONAL INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH, that my be sustained by me, or any loss or damage of property owned by me, as a result of being engaged in such activity, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE.
3. I further hereby AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS the RELEASEES from any loss, liability, damage or costs, including court costs and attorney fees, that they may incur due to my participation in said activity, WHETHER CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES or otherwise.
4. I understand that the Potomac Wiffleball League does not maintain any insurance policy covering any circumstance arising from my participation in this event or any activity associated with or facilitating that participation. As such, I am aware that I should review my personal insurance portfolio.
5. It is my express intent that this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement shall bind the members of my family and spouse, if I am alive, and my heirs, assigns and personal representative, if I am deceased, and shall be deemed as a RELEASE, WAIVER, DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE the above-named RELEASEES. I hereby further agree that this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland, regardless of where this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement is executed.
6. I understand and agree that any dispute arising under this agreement shall be arbitrated, in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association, or a comparable alternative dispute resolution organization chosen by the RELEASEES. I hereby waive any right to a trial, by jury or a court, in any dispute arising under this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement.
7. I grant to the RELEASEES the irrevocable and unrestricted right to use and publish photographs, video, and statistics including my name of me, or in which I may be included, for editorial, trade, advertising, and any other purpose and in any manner and medium; and to alter and composite the same without restriction and without my inspection or approval. I hereby release the RELEASEES and their legal representatives and assigns from all claims and liability relating to said images.
8. I understand that the area used for the Potomac Wiffleball League is maintained solely as an open grassy field and NOT a leveled, improved area which is designed for organized athletic competitions. I also understand that should the National Park Service, its Rangers or Police Officers request that the league alter our field setup or location after more closely reviewing our use, we may be required to alter our plans. I also acknowledge that I have been notified by the Potomac Wiffleball League that alcohol is prohibited at Gravelly Point.
9. IN SIGNING THIS RELEASE, I ACKNOWLEDGE AND REPRESENT THAT I have read the foregoing Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement, understand it and sign it voluntarily as my own free act and deed; no oral representations, statements, or inducements, apart from the foregoing written agreement, have been made; I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent; and I execute this Release for full, adequate and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by same.